Saturday, June 02, 2007


Sara who lives in the UK and reads my blog, asked what kind of chickens I have. They are Isa Browns, a hybrid bird that are raised for their egg production. They lay large brown eggs and are quite prolific.
I also have a pair of Old English Bantams. Thelma Louise and Mohawk.
I found one of Thelma's eggs and put it in the incubator with the other eggs. I was so pleased yesterday when it started to peep and crack a little hole in the shell. This morning I thought it would be hatched for sure so was very sad to see that it had died still in the shell.
I have another Old English Bantam that a friend dropped off for us a couple of week ago. I call him Little Red, ( he is red and black.) He can't go in with Mohawk and Thelma Louise because they will fight.
I have put him in the pen with 3 of the rabbits. Now I am on the lookout for a little red hen for him.
The same friend that gave us Little Red has a gray goose she wants us to have....So the menagerie continues to grow!

Bridgett is the grumpiest little one eyed dog you could ever wish to meet.
Grumpy is the wrong word, I think nasty is more suitable!
I gave up taking her to the groomers because they can't do her head and face. (She bites) I do her myself and have the scars to show for it!
My hands and fingers have been a bit painful for a while and I can't hold on to as well I used to. With out a good strong grip on her the battle is lost before it begins!
I called the vet about my predicament and they said part of their training is handling aggressive dogs. They said to bring her in and they would do the best that they could with her.
I could hear the commotion from the waiting room. The receptionist went back to check on her for me. She came back laughing and said 4 technicians were trying to hold her down. She was wrapped in a towel and fighting for all she was worth! That was just trying to get a muzzle on her. LOL
They did a great job and her legs, feet and body but no way could they get any where near her face or ears. They figure she would have won even if it were 4 Rottweilers holding her down.
The only way I will be able to get her done properly will be to let them sedate her, at a cost of around $200...Retched little dog.

4 Comments:

At 7:23 PM , Blogger Alice said...

I am so glad someoe else has a grumpy pet - I once had a male cat that would hiss and scratch so much that the vet and her tech. would don huge leather fire man style gloves to examine him - fortunatly he trusted me implicitly so I had to give him all his medications, wound and ear cleanings as well baths.

 
At 10:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I guess if you are old and don't want a bath or haircut, ya don't gotta have one !!!!! Too Funny!! I wish I had been there with a Video Camera. But believe me, I would not have wanted to be one of those techs !!! I have learned long ago that if Bridgett declares a space her personal space then you had better darn right respect that space (from about 3 feet back at least LOL) And yet she is cute and if she would let me, I could very easily cuddy with her !! But I will stick to cuddling with Sam, who will not bite me, just smiles for me. !! LOL

Love

Sharon

 
At 12:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for answering my question. I am sorry that one of the chicks didn't make it out of the shell. It's been great learning all about your critters! Thanks for sharing.
Sara from farmingfriends in the UK

 
At 1:04 AM , Blogger Pat said...

Wow and I thot my Teddy was bad.......lol Bridgett wins...

I love your day to day happenings......makes me smile.

Meds are sorta helping the ole legs won't see an orthopedic specialist until spring 2008 they are all booked up....have to call in November to make an appt. You gotta love our medical system....is very crazy for sure.

Thanks for asking

Hugs

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home