I was born and raised a city girl and as much as I have always loved animals, I don't think in my wildest dreams I ever thought I would have my own little hobby farm, Let alone be able to clean maggots from an infection and give injections!
Arnie seems to be feeling a lot better. I clean his wound daily, first with liquid soap, the pink stuff that you get from the vet, then with a weak iodine solution.
It gets sprayed with a purple antiseptic and then with fly spray. Finally he gets a shot of penicillin.
I wait for Rob to get home to help me with him. I could never handle him on my own.
He is a very powerful goat, he is also a very smart goat. It is the only time that as soon as he sees us approaching him he runs! Any other time of day he is one of the first to come great us.
Once we have him its takes both of us to hold him and get him tied to the fence. Once he is tied Rob leans against his side and I work on his head.
He calms right down as I work on him, Although it can't be pleasant for him I think it must feel better each time it is done. He gets a treat before and after the treatment and as soon as he is released he becomes quite affectionate.
Although he is going through bit of a rough patch because of it at the moment, I still believe I made the right decision to have the horns removed.

1 Comments:
I am glad to hear that Arnie is a little better.
Sara from farmingfriends in the UK
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home