
I called the vet out a couple of days ago as I was concerned about Maggie. (She is the momma angora goat.)
She showed no interest when I went out to feed them.
Not like her at all. She is usually the first at the gate waiting to get her head in the feed bucket to get a few extra mouthfulls before I distribute it to them all.
Also, her breathing just didn't seem right and her eyes looked dull and half closed, not the usual bright wide open look that is normal for her. At times it looked like something was in her throat that she was unable to clear.
Last year my first little angora goat, Angelina, died from internal parisites after only having her a few weeks.
Maggie, Hey Babe, and Jenny are from the same breeder so when Maggie lay down and showed no interest in her kid I didn't want to take any chances. I called the vet.
Farm animal vets are few and far between. The closest one to us is about 30/45 mins away and often booked up.
Fortunately, the vet was already on a call in our neighborhood so was able to get to us around lunch time.
After giving Maggie a good examination she told me that her lungs and stomach didn't sound right plus she is loaded with mites.
She is also too thin. Something I had noticed so I have been giving her extra grain. (That may have been what caused the stomach problems)!
Vet thinks she could have had a bad case of indegestion.
I have to give her a shot of peniclin once aday for 3 days and dust all the goats for mites.
Peace of mind knowing she will be ok will be worth the price of the bill. (That I haven't got yet)

2 Comments:
what breed of chickens are the birds in your post?
Hi Patsy. My chicks are all Isa Browns. The ducks are Khaki Campbells and I have one Muskovy drake.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home