Rita suggested I blog a bit of my schedule so here is a little of it.
As soon as I get up in the mornings, still in my PJ's I go out and see to the critters.
Simon the rabbit is usually the first to get fed. We keep the grain in an old freezer and he is normally sat next to it waiting for me.
I have 3 rabbit cages on the way to the goats yard. I feed and water them before I see to the goats. Of course the goats have seen me by this time and are hollering on full volume at me to go feed them..!
My newest addition to the critters is a pair of Old English Bantams. The hen is smaller than a pigeon and the rooster has a lovely plume of feathers for his tail. They are very cute.
Her name is Thelma Louise and his is Mohawk. I have put them in the larger rabbit pen with the rabbits.
After seeing to rabbits and bantams its time to face the rest of them. I enter the gate backwards because goats, ducks and geese all want to get into the feed bucket at the same time.
The chicken coop is with in arms reach of the gate so I open that and let the chickens out. Throwing a handful of grain encourages the chickens and ducks away from me but the goats and geese are too smart for that ploy, They know the bounty is with in the bucket and no way are they going to let that out of their sight.
I have a trough in the chicken house and I put some of the grain in that. While they are all scrambling for that I make my way up into the goat shelter and put out the rest of the grain. Saline, Babe and Jenny will follow me up and eat there, while Arnie, Molly and Becky stay below in the chicken house.
The hay manger gets filled about once a week and Rob usually will do that for me.
We built a small pond for the ducks and geese. It needs to be topped up each morning and the area around it hosed down. Once that is done I clean out the goat house. I keep a kids water pistol with me to squirt at Arnie if he start his nonsense with me. It work great. If he starts coming at me I only have to let him see the water pistol and he will retreat immediately.
By the time I have finished in the goat house I am usually ready for a coffee but before I come in for it I go and feed the other rabbits that are in a pen at the front of the house.
I go out later and do POOP PATROL, With the three dogs I try to get out each day, but if I am honest I will confess pooper scooping is not on the top of my favourite chores to do so there are day I conveniently forget about it!
It is raining today, not a good day for pictures taking. I will go out with the camera if it brightens up later and take pics to give you an idea of the set up here.

3 Comments:
This was a super idea, thanks!
I have a lovely picture now in my mind, thanks! Isn't it great to be able to wander around outside in your nightclothes?!
I would think the picture in your minds eye Rita is a lot nicer that the real thing.
I tend to think of this place as Hillbilly Heaven! lol
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home