Rob and I tried goat meat for the first time at a BBQ Friday evening. We took a very tiny piece and split it between us. we were sure we would not like it.
We were both wrong about not liking it. It was delicious.
Doubt I could ever raise any animal for meat but think I would be able to buy goat meat given a chance.
We got home from the BBQ around 9 30. I checked the critters and found Thelma Louise (Banty hen) huddled on the floor rather than on the perch next to Mohawk.
I picked her up and it almost seems as if she had had a stoke or seizure of some kind.
I placed her in the 'Nursery Pen' under the heat lamp, She didn't make it. Poor love was dead Saturday morning. Also poor Mohawk, He will miss her. I will get another little hen to keep him company.
I wasn't even over finding Thelma when Vi came to remove Jolene's horn buds.
Jolene was placed in a narrow box with her head the only thing outside of the box. Vi had heated the De-budding iron and placed it over the horn buds. I couldn't watch. Jolene was crying for all she was worth as vi pressed the hot iron over the horns and pressed into them.
Becky, one of out Pygmy goats is limping again and her tummy is as hard as a plank of wood. After checking her for me, Vi, my goat Guru, has no idea what it could be.
I really love having all my critters and know I am very lucky to be able to have them.
There are times though, that I wonder if I can cope with the stress that times like these cause me!

4 Comments:
Hey Girl
Well other than the Barbecue, it sounds like you have had a couple of really crappy days. So Sorry !! I will give you a call tomorrow after I take Faye to the 10 am Ferry!!
Take Care
Geeze so sorry for you and the critters.. You are way stronger then I am, I couldn't do it...Just having the Diva Dog is enuf for me....I get too attached.
Hugs and hang in there...
It can be the best of times and the worst of times, but you remember the best, mostly.
you had a good experience with goat meat - the first time I ate it I broke tooth - the second time, many years later, I broke another tooth - I do not eat goat meat any more even if it is delicious :-(
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home