One evening last week I noticed one of our rabbits was starting to build a nest. She had pulled her belly hair out and was adding straw to the pile.
I was a bit concerned for the babies because last month I found 4 frozen little bodies that had gone under the boards in the same corner as this nest was being built.
I was undecided if I should let nature take it course or if I should intervene, I came into the house and knew I would feel awful if I found her babies dead in the morning.
I prepared a cage for the soon to be mum and went back outside to bring her in.
I was only inside for a short time but that was all she needed to have 4 little babies.
I am so glad I decided to intervene. While I was gone the water bucket had been tipped over and the little nest was right in the path of the spilt water. With the temperature below freezing they would not have survived the night in the cold wet nest that they were in.
This is a picture that I took yesterday. They are a week old. Eyes are still closed but they are just getting thier fur.

2 Comments:
Congratulations Diane, they are so cute!!!
They're so lovely! Adorable!! Well done Diane and bunny mum too.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home