Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My hens are all laying well now and producing some great eggs.
I decided I wanted to get a rooster and hopefully get some chicks the natural way, rather than by using an incubator.
I wanted to keep my flock 'pure' so wanted a rooster the same breed as my hens.
At the last goat association meeting I mentioned that I was looking for a "Isa Brown' rooster. I was looked at like I had two heads or something.
One lady said she had a 'Rhode Island Red" rooster that I could have. "Thanks but I am looking for a 'Isa Brown' I said.
"You want a white rooster?" said another member. "No, my hens are brown" I said.
You can have my 'Rhode Island' said the lady.
"If you want a Isa Brown Rooster it will be white" said someone else.
Anyway, someone finally caught on that I knew next to nothing about chicken breeds and told me Isa Browns are Hybrids. They are produced for eggs production...., from Rhode Island Reds!
It would be rare for a Isa Brown to sit her eggs to full term and produce chicks.
Feeling just a bit silly I told the lady with the Rhode Island Red I would love to have him join my girls.
I will be bringing the incubator out in the spring and with luck producing my own 'Isa Browns'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home