Thursday, March 01, 2007

Rabbits, Rabbits and yet more Rabbits!

I like my rabbits, so don't get me wrong when I say right now I am so fed up with RABBITS.

Long time readers may remember my rabbit story.

My niece found a baby rabbit at the side of the road and asked If I would take it.
As a youngster she breed rabbits so when she told me it was a male, who was I to doubt her! I named him Winston.
Not wanting him to be lonely, I got another male to keep him company. They had the run of the sundeck.
They decided to run away away together and the rest you can guess at.

Winston turned out to be Winnie and had numerous babies that had numerous babies. After several months I managed to catch, and sex most of them. I found homes for most but not all of them.

I was left with 2 males, Simon, who was free to come and go as he pleased, Benjamin, a male lop that someone asked me to give a home to, and 7 females.(Winnie has since died and is buried in the back yard) I had Simon fixed, Benjamin lived in a pen so i thought all was OK.

I built nice large runs for the girls that I didn't find homes for. There was a black baby rabbit with a white spot on its nose that I was unable to get. I named it spot and didn't worry about catching it because all the girls were penned and even if it was a male with Simon fixed and Benjamin in a pen no harm in leaving him free.
Yeah right!!!

I knew rabbits could jump, I just didn't realise how well a determined rabbit would jump to get in to a pen full of girl bunnies!

Spot made the most of his visits to the girls before I caught him and took him the the vet to have him fixed.

4 babies are ready for homes but another 9 have been born..
I went to 3 pet stores with the hope one of them would take the 4 off my hands, no luck.
I now have a total of 19 rabbits, (or there about) and will have to go about the sexing and separating them again before this lot start reproducing!

2 Comments:

At 9:44 PM , Blogger Rita said...

OMG they're winning! I didn't realise you had so many - they are very cute though LOL.

 
At 5:11 PM , Blogger Carolynn Anctil said...

Sounds like you have some good material for a tongue in cheek book or similar....something to think about. They're adorable and I'd love to take a few off your hands, however, my resident bunny wouldn't allow it, I'm afraid. And, I've seen what can happen when two bunnies get together.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home