We had the vet out to look at Becky the goat.
She has been limping and the last couple of weeks she seemed stiff all over.
I was also concerned about the way her sides looked and felt. The vet checked her over and said she is full of arthritis. He said her sides are normal but she has lost weight and that is emphasizing her pygmy belly.
There is nothing to be done for her. He said to let her have the summer then in the fall we will have a decision to make.
She loves the heat of the sun. It probably helps ease her pain. We are going to get a heat lamp for her. Even on dull days she will be able to get heat to lay under.
Vet suggested we put her and one other goat in a separate area so that we can give her a special diet with out the other goats getting into her food before she can.
I fixed a rickety old fence and put her and Molly apart from the others, 1/2 hour later Becky comes walking up to me, she is out side of any animal enclosure and had to walk a fair step around to get where she ended up! I think she went under a high spot in the fence. I have fixed that and now will have to wait and see if she gets out again.

2 Comments:
I am sorry to hear about Becky the goat. I hope that you can make her comfortable for the Summer.
Sara from farmingfriends
Poor Becky, it's so horrible to see an animal with arthritis. It's a lousy condition. There was a mention on TV the other morning that a recognised herbal remedy had produced good results in medical trials, but of course I can't remember what it was now, it may have been echinachea, I'll see if I can find out.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home