Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Our Black Japanese Bantam, Mary Ann, hatched 6 of the 9 eggs that she was setting on.
They hatched on Sunday. Not easy to get any pictures yet as when I go out to see them she calls them under her wing.

I have 6 Isa Brown chicks in the brooder that is still in the house. They should be out in the nursery pen by now but Rob has been too busy to mink proof it for me. Even though we have killed two mink and probably will not see any for a while, I will not take a chance with putting anything out there until it is ready.
The rabbit, (Ray Charles) that was injured by the mink is in a hutch with 'Titch' and a new to us black hen of unknown origin. We got her from friends of ours who didn't want her. She looks to be a banty cross.
I tried putting the Isa Brown chicks in with the Japanese hen but she is very protective of her babies and became quite stressed and aggressive with the other chicks so I have put them in the hutch with Titch, Ray Charles, and the black hen (who has no name yet) All is well so far. Hopefully I will be able to keep them there until the nursery is ready.

3 Comments:

At 9:50 PM , Blogger Rita said...

I love the idea of the shared accommodation for rabbits and chicks lol.

 
At 10:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, great hatching news. You sound very busy at the moment with all the animals.
I hope the mink does not come back.
Sara from farmingfriends

 
At 5:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm back again. I just wanted to let you know that I had nominated you for a Nice Matters award.
Sara from farmingfriends

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home