The mink are back.
I was watching the critters from the window Sunday, late afternoon.
One of the ducklings was swimming at the edge of the pond.
I didn't even see the mink coming. In seconds it was on the duckling, killing it instantly.
Rob and I rushed outside knowing it was too late to do anything.
As we were standing there, still in shock, the dam thing poked its nose out from under the board walk
One of the other ducklings that was standing beside my feet started squawking, I bent to pick it up but its foot seemed caught between the boards. The retched mink had a hold of it from underneath and was not going to let go. I had to stamp my feet on the boards before it finally relinquished its hold on the poor little thing.
If that wasn't bad enough, the evil animal poked its head out from under the walk, still with yellow down from the ducking in its mouth and stared at me as if it was weighing its odds against still going for the duckling or not. (The duckling was unharmed)
Since Saturday we have lost 5 ducklings, both of our frizzle Cochin chicks, one Isa Brown chick and the chicken flock looks smaller than usual to me.
I have the trap set but it seems too smart to get caught in it.
I can lock everyone up at night but this thing is coming during the day. It won't stop until it kills all our fowl, or unless we can kill it first.
I was talking to a friend on the weekend and she is giving up her hobby farm. She said the predators have won.
Post Script: In the short time it took me to shower and write this post 3 more duckling are missing!

4 Comments:
Oh no! That's terrible, I'm so sorry. Wicked mink.
Wowwwwwww, that is so sad....I'm so sorry..
I've been talking to net buddies and they have suggested:
Get in touch with local Indian Band and have them trap them.
Get local SPCA to help
And finally get one of these dogs, if raised with animals it will forever protect them... http://dogbreedinfo.com/maremmasheepdog.htm
Thanks for checking into all that on my behalf Pat.
I have a trap set out back, so far no luck. We have got them in the past in the trap though, so hopeful we get this one before it kills every thing I have.
As for the dog, I agree its the way to go, problem is we already have 4 dogs!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home