Saturday, September 15, 2007

As I read Sara, from Farming Friends blog about rats that are inevitable when you have a farm it made me think about my own rat story.
I knew we had rats here as I see the odd one scurrying around the goat house at dusk.
Setting traps seems to be an exercise in futility and up to now I thought poison was not advisable. I now think if I set it out in a safe, away from every thing else manner, it may be the best way to control the rat problem.
We are re-building the goat house. It started out as a simple add 4 ft to the back of the structure and replace the floor.
In hind sight it would have been easier I think to pull down the house and start from scratch because taking the back wall off affected the sides, which affected the roof etc.
Any way, I digress from the rat story I was going to tell.
It was my job to pull up the old floor which had been put down in sections.
The first couple came up with out incident. I came to the first center section, as I started pulling it up, a HUGE mother rat flew out causing me to scream. My scream sent goats and chickens running in every direction which startled Rob who wasn't too pleased with me screaming at a rat anyway!
The rat had a nest with half a dozen or more new Born's in it. The ducks took care of them and I continued on cautiously lifting more of the floor.
If Rob thought the first scream was bad he at least understood the second one. 8 to 10 juvenile looking rats flew out from under the next section of floor that I was lifting, all heading in my direction, I had visions of them running up my legs, eeew it was awful.
I was shocked to see just how many rats there were out there and that is I when I realized that I need to get serious about controlling the problem with poison.
I will remove the rest of the old floor today. I am hopeful there will be no more surprises under it.

4 Comments:

At 10:45 PM , Blogger Rita said...

OMG that's really scary. When we had a rat problem in the barn we used a really powerful trap - it killed them instantly (I hope). Each morning there would be another dead rat. It was hubby's job to get rid of the body of course and he would tell me how huge each one was. Did the trick though.
I'm fascinated that the ducks ate the baby rats, it must have been a riotous few minutes lol. I'd be really nervous about going back out there, good luck!

 
At 10:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's horrible when they are running towards you. I have five cats whose job is to hunt out the rats, yet they don't like that job! Good luck with the building work and I hope no-more rats jump out to scare you. Thanks for the mention, it's always an honour to know that someone has read a post and gone away and thought more about it.
Sara from farmingfriends

 
At 2:06 AM , Blogger Pat said...

Aren't you glad you don't live in Newfoundland Diane? lol Someone at a mink farm let them loose......mink everywhere.....
they have a bounty on them now....heard it on the news today and thought about you...

Good luck with the rats..

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger patsy said...

i have seen on the "coop " where people place decon inside a pcp pipe and that way the chicks and animals can not get it but rats and mice can.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home