Thursday, October 18, 2007

When Princess our foster greyhound goes out side I usually go with her, she has a tendency every once in a while to work her way around the fence and make her way onto the road. My big fear is her getting hit by a car.

I took her out with me two evening ago. She saw a chicken about half way down the yard and started to run after it. I wasn't overly concerned that she would catch it as it was far enough away from her that I knew it would fly over the fence before she got it.
I was cross that she still wants to chase them and was yelling at her. Suddenly she started howling. I knew what ever had happened was causing extreme pain and I assumed she had cut her foot.
I was horrified when I got to her to realize her leg was broken.

She never made it on the track as a racer because the same thing happened to her in training. As she was running her leg broke. Meaning the end of her career before it got started.

I needed the help of a neighbor to get her into my car so that I could get her to the vet.
She was kept over night and ex-rayed the following morning. Her leg is an open fracture, meaning the bone came through the skin. It is not a clean brake so our local vet can't fix it. She needs to see an orthopedic specialist. That means a trip to Vancouver and I am guessing it would be an over night stay.

I contacted the Greyhound leugue to let them know what had happened.
I do not intent to make them look bad. They do a teriffic job saving Greyhound from death by taking them from the race tracks, transporting them in to Canada, finding foster homes and then finding good forever homes for them.
However, I am disappointed in the response that we are getting for Princess. They do not want to spend the money to send her to Vancouver. If the leg can be fixed well enough with out spending the big buck on her that is the route they want to take.
Meanwhile we have a beautiful girl home from the vet in a bandage and a splint, she is still in a lot of pain and the league are not getting back to me. We have told them we will pay half the cost of getting her leg fixed if that will help expedite things, They have not responded. I did get pain killers from our vet for her and that has made her more comfortable.

Rob wants to take matters into his own hands and get her to Vancouver for the surgery and cover the cost himself. (It would be lots of money) I agree with him but she is not our dog. She is still owned by the rescue society and it is up to them to do the right thing for her.

I will keep you posted.

1 Comments:

At 12:50 PM , Blogger Pat said...

That is two non profits not coming thru for people this week....I see a pattern here........First Iggy now Angel.....what gives with that?

Hope they come thru for you and read the fine print if you signed anything....

Hugs and hope Angel is ok....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home