Bridgett, my grumpy Lhasa, has had a rough time of things in the last little while.
Our weather was extremely cold for a couple of weeks.
Ice formed on the ponds that was thick enough to hold my two grandsons, Who had a great time freaking their mother and me out by jumping on it!
Any way, I let Bridgett out one evening around 8 00 p.m. I put the kettle on for tea, checked emails, puttered around for a bit while the tea steeped and suddenly remembered Bridgett had not come back in.
Calling her is pointless as she is deaf so I took a flashlight out side to look for her.
The pond is in total darkness and away from the area that she would usually wander so why I shone the light in that direction is a miracle in its self.
Sure enough Bridgett was in the middle of the pond half submerged in the icy water and clinging to the ice trying to get herself out.
The pond is small so it wasn't difficult for me to reach her.
We wrapped her in towels and rubbed her dry. Poor love was shaking very badly. She was, I think, in shock.
It was 3 or 4 hours before she began to warm up.
The next morning she was a bit subdued but over the worst of it.
A few days after that I decided it was time to give her a trim.
She got so worked up as I tried to groom her she tried to take a bite out of the clippers. Sure enough it ended up cutting her in the mouth and made her mouth bleed.
Last week she stumbled into Ben, one of our Greyhounds, it startled him and he took a bite at her.
I could see she had blood on her side but because of her awful disposition it was impossible for me to check it out to see how bad it was.
I put her in the bath tub so that I could at least clean the area.
Enough was enough. I wasn't able to see the wound because I wasn't able to groom her, I couldn't groom her because she is such a nasty little thing that professional groomers, vets or I can't hold her down with out getting bitten.
When I take her to the vet they don't want to put her under anesthetic and shave her down because of the risk factor due to her age.
This time I called and said it would be kinder to let her have a heart attack while she is under anesthetic that fighting me or them while we try to give her a trim.
They agreed and almost $3oo later Bridgett has a complete hair cut, nail trim, ears and eye cleaned. She was given a shot of antibiotic for the bite from Ben.
After all she has gone through in the last couple of weeks I think she now deserves some quite time!

5 Comments:
Bridgett looks content in the photo. Sara from farmingfriends
Aww, s'pensive hair cut!! I hope she recovers well!! Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been busy on a covert mission!! *top secret* I will update more often!!
Much hugs to Reiko and Princess!!!
Thanks for visiting my blog. Our chicks are Australorps, Ameracaunas, Naked Necks, Rhode Island Red, Silver Laced Wyandotte and Golden Laced Wyandotte.
what a cutey pie! You'd nevr know about all the drama looking at the picture.
Hey Diane!
Do you know anyone who has any Khaki campbells or indian runners up for grabs? I've re-built the pond and am fresh out of ducks! Argh! I'm about to build the other pond this week too! I can't wait a month for the ducklings, I want a duck NOW!
hah
ps, I think I have a mink problem as well....new security features are now on the hen houses
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home