Tuesday, January 22, 2008



We had a hawk kill one of our hens on the weekend.
It was a beautiful looking bird. I took a couple of pictures of it from the window. It made no attempt to fly away so I went out side to see if I could get a closer shot. (picture that is)
As I got closer to it I could see that it had jessie straps on its legs and they were cough in the carcase of the chicken.
Although I think I could have easily caught the bird myself, not wanting to harm it or myself, I decided to made a couple of phone calls and find a pro to come for it.
BIG mistake. The woman that came out was a complete idiot.
She readily admitted birds were not her specialty but she did manage to get the bird and put it into a box. The lid would not clamp shut. While she was looking for another lid I picked up the box and was putting it in to a larger crate that was in her vehicle. Perfect solution I thought.
She said she wanted the bird out of the box if it was going into the larger crate. She put the box back on the ground took the lid off the box and we watched the bird fly away!
I could not believe the incompetents of this woman.
The jessie straps are not untied so chances are good that this bird will get tanged in something else and not be able to get free.
She said she had to leave and gave me the number of a fellow that has hawks and works for the same organization that she does.
Why did she not send him out in the first place!
He came out and stayed until dark trying to work the bird onto his glove. No luck
The hawk was back this morning eating off the carcase that we left for it. The hawk trainer came back but still no luck catching it.
I feel bad for the beautiful hawk but concerned for my own birds. It knows there is lots of food here. I hope we are able to capture it before it take more of my feathered friends.

2 Comments:

At 8:02 PM , Blogger Duppa Dee said...

I lost a duck and a BUNCH of chickens to the Eagles this past few weeks! TERRIBLE!! I'm down to one duck, I think I'm going to invest in a bunch of leghorns this next season, they are resilient! I'm sorry I can't do the survey, I fell into an evil survey trap eons ago and it never ended, I made a solemn vow! I did enjoy reading yours though!
With bird stuff, I call the wildlife society, the one in errington, I can't recall their number, but if you google it, they have an answering machine message with an 'emergency number' Call that and someone will come fairly quickly, they have been good in the past :)

 
At 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am sorry to hear that you lost some of your farm animals. I have lost
2 ducks and 2 geese. I almost lost a chicken to a neighbors dog, but I got out there in time to save her. How is Canada?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home