Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve.
We had snow Saturday morning and rain Saturday afternoon and Sunday.
The snow has been washed away so no white Christmas for us this year.

I ended up taken both of my pygmy goats to the vet on Saturday to have them put down. Very sad journey but necessary as they were both in pain from arthritis.

I was keeping the two peafowl that I got a week ago locked in the chicken house. It is recommended keeping them in for at least a month before letting them free range. I guess I didn't slide the latch far enough and one of the goats opened the door.
This morning only one peafowl was in the yard. It was calling frantically for its partner who wasn't answering.
I was convinced the missing one had gotten onto the highway and was probably dead.
The remaining one started to wander into a bushy area still calling to its partner. I followed in the hope I would be able to herd it back and try to get it back into the chicken house.
I am not sure how I even spotted the missing bird, I was amazed at how far up a tree it was.
I can only hope they will both stay close by and return when they get hungry.

PS. After posting this page I checked out side and was so happy to see both peafowl sat on the fence together!

1 Comments:

At 12:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seasons greetings to you. I hope you have a good Christmas and new Year. I am pleased that your peafowl returned safely. They will soon get into a routine. My guinea fowl now wait outside the hut for me to open up the door to let them in on a night and if they don't fancy going in on their own then I can usually herd them in by waving my arms!
Best Wishes
Sara from farmingfriends

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home