Saturday, December 15, 2007

*Peafowl:
Peacock: male peafowl
Peahen: female peafowl

I have thought about getting *peafowl for a while but knowing they are fairly good at flying, I didn't want to chance they would get onto the highway and either get hit or be the cause of an accident.

My son phoned me a couple of nights ago to tell me there was a lady living locally that was looking for homes for some of her peafowl.
I told him my reasons for not getting them, he had already called the woman and talked to her about our location being close to the highway. She told him peafowl are not dumb birds, they would fly into trees before flying onto the open space of a highway.

Of course I gave her a call and made plans to go visit her and see the peafowl.
She has the most fantastic set up. She has 10 fully fenced acres.
Not only are there lots of peafowl wondering around, she also has ducks, geese, chickens and swans, as well as horses, goats and would you believe a wallaby.

We hit it off right away and she has invited me to go back on Monday to show me around a bit more.

I was admiring the art work on her office wall and found out she is a photographer and it was all her own work.
We talked about the greyhounds and she donated one of her pictures as a fund raiser for our next auction. I accepted it greatfully. It is of one of her swans.

After a long visit it was decided that when I go back on Monday I will help her sort through boxes of her art and try to get it better organized.

I think I have met a new friend, at least I hope so because we got along so well for a first meeting I think it will only get better.

Oh yes, I came away with two peafowl.

3 Comments:

At 1:09 PM , Blogger Pat said...

And where are the pictures young lady of your visit with her? lol

Sounds wonderful, enjoy your new friend.

Hugs

 
At 11:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow 2 peafowl and a new friend. i look forward to pictures. sara from farmingfriends

 
At 11:43 PM , Blogger Rita said...

You've got some peafowl! (I'm working backwards on the comments lol). You lucky thing, I miss Brian and Lu Lu. I'm sure your two will love roaming around your place. That sounds a really interesting place and person you have found, might this mean more ducks lol.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home