Thursday, March 27, 2008




After the birth and death of 'Easter,' our first baby goat of the year, We were a little apprehensive about Selene's impending kidding.
Tuesday she had a very healthy little billy goat. For now I am calling him Billy Boy.
He may be spoken for so rather than ponder for days looking for a name for him, if he goes to a new home his new family would probably want to name him them selves. If I end up keeping him, Billy Boy works for me!
I wont let him go until he is weaned at around 4 months. I will also get him wethered. (Neutered)

It has been a race in the mornings trying to get to the duck egg before the ravens get it. The ravens usually win.
This morning my husband saw the raven as usual but it was further down the yard than it normal post on top of the goat house.

I went out to feed every one and I saw why he had moved to the new location. A mink has killed our only Khaki Campbell hen and the raven was feasting on it.
I have put the carcass in the live trap and hope we get the mink before it gets more of our fowl.

Last year we trapped and killed 4 mink but not before they killed at least a dozen baby ducks and a few chickens.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about the kid and the khaki campbell. nature can be so cruel sometimes.
Sara from farmingfriends

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home