This post is in answer to Sara from Farming Friends question: Why did you decide on this particular breed.
In 2005 I went to visit my family in Bristol England. I met my cousin-in-law Sue for the first time and we hit it off right away.
Sue and her husband Brian, invited me to their home for a visit one evening and Sue showed me her spinning wheel.
I found out that she is a master spinner. She showed me how to spin and let me try it for myself.
I was hooked almost immediately. Which was a total shock to me as crafts of any kind have never interested me.
When I returned home to Canada, I found a spinning group that met weekly, I rented a wheel and joined the group. I was fortunate enough to be given some Alpaca fiber and some sheep wool to practice with.
After a while I decided to buy my own wheel.
I used up the fiber that had been given to me and was trying to decide what would be the best fiber to buy so that I could continue spinning.
Sue had told me about the Angora goat and how wonderful they are and how nice their fiber is. I thought rather than always having to but fiber from someone else it would be fun to have my own fiber goat.
I already had a couple of pygmy goats as pets and adding a couple more goats just seemed a natural progression.
I had no clue when I decided to get angora goats that they would not be that easy to find.
I still have so much to learn about goat keeping. I joined the Vancouver Goat Association and have found the members to be a wonderful group. They are helpful and willing to show me things like hoof trimming, de-horning and castration. As well as answering the many question that I still ask about goat keeping.
So far hoof trimming is the only thing I have done myself. As my confidence grows I hope be able to do the other things as well.

1 Comments:
Thank you so much for answering my question in this wonderfully written post. I found it so interesting. What items have you made from your wool?
sara from farmingfriends
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home